Sunday, April 3, 2011

Walking in their broken shoes…

On Thursday I went on a trip to Khayelitsha. Michelle Ramsay (friend from college) and I decided to complete our communication science assignment on a Non Government Organisation called the Khayelitsha Homestead projects for street children.

We knew that this was going to be an emotional day so we had to prepare ourselves before the time. On arrival the gates to the Homestead were open by two fairly young, well dressed, happy boys. The moment we got out of the car the boys were holding out their hands and asking us our names. They then intern gave us their names, Athi and David. When Athi heard my name he told me that I was Victoria Beckham and that his friend David was my husband. Michelle and I were touched by this gesture and very impressed with their manners.


We proceeded to have our very informative and impressive interview with the house councillor Sonja. She gave us exactly what we needed but had to run off after an hour as she was super busy.

With the other boys being at school Athi and David were our tour guides or the morning which they more than happy to do. They showed us around with such pride and it was so touching to watch.


The conclusion to the tour was their playground where we proceeded to interact with the boys in a game of soccer and basketball.

It was such a special day and I believe that in the future I would like to either donate funds or my time to these boys because they really touched our hearts.

No comments:

Post a Comment