Sunday, April 24, 2011

Tula tu thula baba


Another weekend has past with not to many social activities besides a small braai with friends on Friday night in order to celebrate Good Friday. I then gave up my Saturday night in order to help my cousin out by looking after his 1 year old baby girl, Lara, as it was his birthday.

By now most of you should know this would be more fun for me than actual work although when I arrived at around 7pm she had already been tucked into bed.  Not to upset, I jumped on the couch, dialled Butlers Pizza and started to watch my first film of the evening which was a new Jennifer Aniston and Adam Sandler film called “Just go with it”. It was a brilliant film and really uplifted my mood. Then it was time to watch the latest Harry Potter movie as I had read the book some time ago and had not managed to watch the movie. Well not even half an hour into the movie and little Lara starts to scream her lungs out.

Off I went to her room to pick her up and at first she was a bit startled to see only me. I then took her to see her dog, Summer so she could see she was at home and not some stranger’s house. Anyway after about an hour or more of rocking up in the arms (you can NOT sit down else she starts to scream again, she’s an up baby) and singing “Tula tu thula baba”, an old Zulu lullaby that one of my nannies used to sing to me when I was a baby, she fell asleep and so did my arm.

Funny how something so close to my heart and that helped me relax as a child can have the same affect on the new generation, some things never die. Just out of curiosity does anyone else remember that lullaby because it does seem to be pretty popular on YouTube?

No comments:

Post a Comment