Sunday, April 17, 2011

Sleeping Beauty

The other night I went over to my cousin’s house to go fetch a couple of movies. When I arrived I automatically picked up little Lara, who is almost one and took her with me to my cousins computer room. We sat and played whilst he downloaded the movies for me.


Lara was up pretty late as she hadn’t been feeling well all day so her mom decided at this point that she needed to try put her down. Well I could see Lara and mom were both tired so when Lara hadn’t stopped crying for almost 20 minutes I decided I needed to get in there and help her out. After another 15 minutes her mom came back in and said let her play some more and so reluctantly I did.

Eventually I decided she was too tired to play anymore so I told her parents I was going to attempt putting her down again. I took her back to the room and rocked her, she was screaming her lungs out and so I decided it was best for me to put her down and just leave her by herself. I walked back to the lounge where you could quite clearly hear Lara screaming and took a seat on the couch.

I told Lara’s mom not to stress and just give her 20 minutes of screaming. Well she was horrified and said she would wait 5 minutes. I calmed her down and spoke to her to make time pass and as I expected Lara was out within less than 10 minutes.

Tough love is sometimes the only way to go. Don’t burn yourself out, babies are super resilient and of course extremely clever. Most of the time, they are playing you so don’t fall for the trap.

No comments:

Post a Comment