Tuesday, July 12, 2011

In my day

I can’t believe how things have changed over the years. My mom always talked about how different her generation was in comparison to my own. Earlier today I was speaking to this old woman at my hairdresser about the boys of today and how in her day men were real gentlemen, nothing like today’s lot. They would open doors and make sure they stood up when a lady enters a room; something women are surprised by, if it happens in this day.
Now another thing that has become a more popular over the years is au-pairing. I have been an au-pair a few times in my short life time and have absolutely loved it. I do also understand how hard it must be for moms to find an au-pair they can trust as they are putting the life of their babies in their (hopefully) capable hands.
My cousin’s children were raised by an au-pair, Joanne. She was lovely and both girls absolutely adored her. Once my cousin Heather was able to start working half time the girls had reached school level and she was able to look after them herself.
Megan (6) and Amy (4) where driving home from school with my aunt the other day. Whilst driving home, Amy managed to show how her generation thinks. My aunty had just been saying that she saw baboons and the two girls were looking out the window trying to spot them as well; next thing the see a few of them all in a group on the side of the road. Amy saw a baby baboon sitting all on its own and proceeded to scream out, “Granny where is that baby baboons au-pair???”
Things are changing and at a heck of speed. I don think it won’t be long until I’m saying, “when I was your age....”

No comments:

Post a Comment