Sunday, October 2, 2011

Let us be HORNY in peace

Last week Thursday, 22 September 2011, was National Rhino Day. I have felt heart sore since the breaking news of how far the rhino poaching has come over the past few years, in 2008 12 rhino’s were killed in 2011 a rhino is killed every 22minutes!!

When I found out that our city had decided to pull together and have a friendly protest, I immediately got involved and that morning instead of pulling on a green shirt o support our rugby team, I wore a red t-shirt to support the rhino’s.
I arrived at the protest which didn’t seem to have a great turn out but I wasn’t leaving so I grabbed a sign and started to sing along with the people who were there. After about an hour the group of protestors had grown significantly and we now had a huge man made rhino in the middle of our group, cars were hooting and people were cheering us on. It was such a special feeling and so incredible to have been given the chance to be part of this amazing cause.
When it was time for the formal speakers to give us the facts, Searle Durman from Aquila came up and spoke about Absa, the incredible rhino who survived for 5 days after his horn was HACKED off by poachers, my eyes filled with tears and my emotions took over.
When the protest was over I was sad and hurting for these beautiful creatures but I also felt a huge amount of HOPE for their future something I never would have expected to feel.
Please guys you can help in your own small way all you have to do is sign up and get a Woolworths ‘My Planet’ card and specify that it must be the one that helps the rhino’s it will take 5minutes out of your life and it could help to save a life of a rhino.    


No comments:

Post a Comment