Sunday, October 23, 2011

Impi Challenge


Woke up at around 7:30 yesterday morning (yes way too early for a Saturday) as I had to be on the road at just before 9am for the Impi Challenge and as I was house sitting I needed to get the dogs fed and make sure everything was fine before I could leave.



Eventually we were on our way (my aunt and uncle) to watch my cousins and a few friends make idiots of themselves. The Impi Challenge is a 12.5km run, through several farms near Paarl and with many obstacles along the way with some being called the ‘snake pit’ and ‘lily pads’.

On arrival we say my cousins busy being kitted up with paint and other accessories for the race and then they were off. We walked along the spectators root (me with my two baby cousins taken turns on my back-my own Impi Challenge) to get to the Lily Pads as we heard it was the funniest obstacle.
Basically the lily pads are pieces of wood strung together with string that create a floating bridge over water. The idea is to run very fast over the planks so you do not sink and trust me it is much easier than it sounds.
After several laughs we decided to head back to watch the guys come in. Finally it was time to get some food and a beer or two for the champions of the day. All in all it was a fun filled day that made me think that perhaps next year I could get involved.

No comments:

Post a Comment