Saturday, June 11, 2011

AN ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM



I have always been the person who tries to face things head on and I HATE lying. Therefore the elephant in the room theory does not technically fit into my lifestyle.
For those of you who don’t know what this saying means, Wikipedia has a good explanation, "Elephant in the room" is an English metaphorical idiom for an obvious truth that is being ignored or goes unaddressed. The idiomatic expression also applies to an obvious problem or risk no one wants to discuss.
It is based on the idea that an elephant in a room would be impossible to overlook; thus, people in the room who pretend the elephant is not there have chosen to concern themselves with tangential or small and irrelevant issues rather than deal with the looming big one.
The only time I feel this really applies to me is with deadlines because then I have the biggest, fattest, elephant in my room! Anyway I decided to find a poem and a quote to help me out with this idea.

Starting with the poem, “THE ELEPHANT IN THE ROOM - By Terry Kettering”

There’s an elephant in the room.
It is large and squatting,
so it is hard to get around it.

Yet we squeeze by with,
“How are you?” and, “I’m fine,”
and a thousand other forms of trivial chatter.

We talk about the weather;
we talk about work;
we talk about everything else—
except the elephant in the room.

There’s an elephant in the room.
We all know it is there.
We are thinking about the elephant
as we talk together.

It is constantly on our minds.
For, you see, it is a very big elephant.
It has hurt us all, but we do not talk about
the elephant in the room.

Oh, please, say her name.
Oh, please, say “Barbara” again.
Oh, please, let’s talk about
the elephant in the room.

For if we talk about her death,
perhaps we can talk about her life.
Can I say, “Barbara” to you
and not have you look away?
For if I cannot,
then you are leaving me alone
in a room—with an elephant.

An ending off with a brilliant quote which sums in up so well…

"When there’s an elephant in the room introduce him."
Randy Pausch

No comments:

Post a Comment