Sunday, June 5, 2011

C’est la vie

That awkward moment when you’ve already said “what?” three times and still have no idea what the person said, so you just agree.

In high school I got the opportunity to not only learn French but I actually to go over to France and live there for 3 months. I went to school there and made so many incredible friends that I am still in touch with today.

Anyway living in South Africa, I don’t often get the chance to speak French and it sucks because I really want to keep it up and Flying to France every so often is not the answer or feasible. I try every now and again when I find a bouncer or a car guard from an African country that speaks French but again this isn’t the answer as I can’t do it for long enough or regularly.

Last night I was at a friend’s house and they told me they had French friends coming over. I really wanted to chat to them but was nervous and shy that I would be no good and would make a fool of myself. Well by the time they had arrived, I was onto my third glass of wine and had a bit of Dutch courage. I began to chat to them and well what do you know, I could hold my own.

At times I didn’t understand things but I used other words and body language to get me through and in the end I felt good about the conversation. Now all I need is a ticket to France to become fluent…anyone buying?


No comments:

Post a Comment