Monday, March 21, 2011

We are afraid of the wrong things

‘The road not taken’ – Robert Frost

Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And be one traveller, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I –
I took the one less travelled by,
And that has made all the difference.

This has always been one of my favourite poems and fits in almost perfectly with this weeks blog post “We are all afraid of the wrong things”.

Robert Frost explains through this poem that in life we need to take risks and not just sit back and let life happen. Why do we always want to have routine in life?? Yes it helps but at the end of the day when we die wouldn’t we want to have taken more risks and have enjoyed life more?

The fact is by taking the path less travelled by; we are creating an adventure in life. I myself am facing this huge predicament head on at this very point in my life. I have just been offered the opportunity to take on a fantastic job with an awesome company and all I would have to do is put myself out there, hit the interview head on, get the job and go from full time studies to part time. Easy as pie but the problem is I’m Shit scared!! I’ve never done anything so out there before. Yes we all did our internships but this isn’t even in our field. It is however based in a field that I’m extremely interested in and that is Brand Management at a huge retail store.

So after some deliberation I have decided to go check out the other path, give it a bash and if the interview goes well then its bye bye Full Time and hello Part Time; and if not well at least I tried.


No comments:

Post a Comment